Coaching is coaching…whether its in sports or in business.
It involves balancing a variety of aspects of communication, skill development, emotion, patience, expectation, and much more. The late Paul “Bear” Bryant, the famous University of Alabama football coach had these simple tips for effectively coaching:
1. Tell players what you expect of them.
2. Give players an opportunity to perform.
3. Let players know how the’re getting along.
4. Instruct and empower players when they need it.
5. Reward players according to their contribution.
Most everyone is coaching someone at some point whether they think about it this way or not. Let these simple steps give you a framework.