Spread the love

There is Nothing More Important Than Your Health.

I know that it doesn’t FEEL that way when you think of your day-to-day life. You have bills to pay, children to care for, work demands, and a host of other things that are literally and figuratively screaming at you. They seem a lot more important in the moment than paying attention to what’s on the end of your fork or doing some push-ups.

UNLESS, you are already dealing with a major health issue. Talk to anyone who is, and they’ll tell you if they had a chance to start all over in life, knowing what they now know…they would prioritize their health.

So What’s With the Cheesesteak?

I’m glad you asked. While cheesesteak subs do have some redeeming qualities, in general they are not a healthy food. And when you eat one, you more than likely are having fries or chips with it which don’t make the meal any healthier. Oh, and you’re probably not having a green smoothie as your drink when you eat one, if you get my drift, so there’s that little negative health bonus too.

Having said all this, there are times you simply HAVE TO EAT THE CHEESESTEAK.

If you don’t like cheesesteaks, then just substitute the food (pizza? Ice cream?) that fits the nature of the cheesesteak.

Cheesesteak Cheesesteak Cheesesteak….

We just got back from a 25-day trip to Florida. The first two and a half weeks of the trip we stayed near Hollywood beach. After a few days of experimenting with different areas to hang out on the beach (all of them were good spots), we found an area of the beach that was a little less busy that just happened to be right in front of a restaurant/tavern called “Bonnie and Reads.”

It’s a cool pirate themed place that happens to be owned by a guy from Philadelphia, PA. And what is one of the things Philly is known for? Yup, the Philly cheesesteak. The first day I was there, I had a cheesesteak. I love cheesesteaks. I rarely eat them because of the health aspect, but they are one of my favorite foods. Anyway, it was delicious. A truly authentic Philly cheesesteak.

I went to that beach a total of 8 days. And I had a cheesesteak every single day. My family razzed me about it of course, and encouraged me to try something different. But I just happily ate the cheesesteak every day. I probably won’t have another one for quite a while.

The 90% Rule

Here’s the lesson for life part. I follow what I call the 90% rule. As a general rule, I do all the right stuff for my health 90% of the time. 10% of the time I do whatever I want in the moment.

This applies globally over time. And it applies in short term scenarios too. Even though I was on a holiday for the most part (I still did a little work with clients and my team. My bride is in a different situation and worked many of the days), I still worked out daily, did my personal and professional development, followed my morning routine, took my vitamins, drank plenty of water, got good rest, and then the rest of the day I played. And I play the way I work…all in.

If you consistently do all the right stuff 90% of the time, you are free to enjoy the things you like that don’t fit the health circle the other 10% without remorse, and without too much consequence. Let’s be real. If you like a cheesesteak, you’re going to eat one occasionally. Why ruin it by having guilt?

I’ll be 62 in a few months. I am on no meds, can still run circles around most people half my age in the gym, and live at my ideal weight. I don’t have super genetics when it comes to health as I have shared before here, and I share deeply in the 3 Circles Living book.

I simply value my health (physical and mental) high enough to prioritize it before anything else in a typical day, because I know it’s the key to showing up best in my relationships and my work in the now, and sustainably into the future.

And, I like to have fun and live full out. I encourage you to take your health so seriously that you don’t consider it optional in your day and follow the 90% rule.

I hope this is helpful for you. Please share with others if it is.

Subscribe to Todd’s Blog

Many Blessings, Todd

P.S. If you are in need of coaching or training for your organization, reach out to me.

P.S.S.  The first order of priority in 3 Circles Living is physical health. A key aspect of this is complementing your diet with the best quality nutritional supplements you can find. If you would like to order the best, at wholesale prices, check out my 3 Circles Living online shop. If you have any questions or would like to address specific areas of need, shoot me an email and I’m happy to help. This has been an essential part of my health journey for 27 years and I’ve helped lots of folks along the way.


Spread the love